Sunday, June 9, 2024

2001 - As Good As It Gets - The Best of Gene


 2001 - As Good As It Gets - The Best of Gene

As Good as It Gets: The Best of Gene compiles tracks off the three studio albums Brit-rock band Gene released starting with their stellar 1995 debut, Olympian, and ending with 1999's Revelations. As such, it works nicely as a roundup of the best of what they put out before 2002's Libertine -- largely considered a return to form after an extended commercial and creative slump. Suffering justified comparisons to the Smiths from their inception, Gene however always managed to rock with a bit more grandeur and classicism than the boys from Manchester. Despite lead singer Martin Rossiter's penchant for lovelorn warbling and Morrissey-like lyrics that often address loneliness and alienation, he is easily a more accomplished vocalist than his idol. Similarly, Steve Mason's slabs of arpeggiated guitar harmony call to mind Queen's Brian May as much as Johnny Marr. That said, Gene's albums can be spotty and the band never quite reached the same level of popularity or cultural importance enjoyed by the Smiths. All of which makes As Good as It Gets a great introduction to some of the most criminally overlooked pop to come out of England since the Action called it quits. Gene's strengths lie in devastatingly emotional lyrics paired with infectious singalong melodies and huge guitar hooks, all evident here on tracks including "Sleep Well Tonight," "We Could Be Kings," and "I Can't Help Myself." On the downside, longtime fans may be dissapointed at the omission of some other solid album tracks like "Save Me, I'm Yours and the inclusion of a cover of the Jam's "Town Called Malice" which, while good, only serves to distract from what makes Gene great on its own. Ultimately, Olympian is the ideal place to experience the "best" of what Gene have to offer, but for curious listeners who don't want to wade through the albums, As Good as it Gets is just that. ~ Matt Collar

https://www.discogs.com/master/659919-Gene-As-Good-As-It-Gets-The-Best-Of

ANDY

10 comments:

  1. Is there any chance to add infos about the artwork too? I for example only collect albums that have front and rear covers in at least 1400x1400 pixel. Thanks, Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't keep any art work, not interested it, I want the music, I would suggest you search on discogs or https://musicbrainz.org/ for the art work if it's not included. Why would you what that size art work Pete?

      Delete
    2. I`m old fashioned and burn albums onto CD. A lower resolution of artwork makes it look poorly. Best, Pete

      Delete
    3. Used to burn to cd's but no point now, USB and hours of music in the car without having to change the disc. I add the front and back covers from discogs to my shares, as I said I don't keep the art work at all.

      Delete
    4. Pete, if your not happy with what we share, then is simple don't take it.

      Delete
    5. No need to be aggressive, I just asked a simple question. But your attitude doesn`t want me to download your files anymore. Thanks a lot. Bye, Pete

      Delete
    6. I wasn't being aggressive, was simply stating if your not happy then don't take what we share, it's your choice, bye Pete

      Delete
    7. To be honest Pete, don't think you were downloading them anyway, just here to get a reaction to your comments.

      Delete
  2. Am sure I have this Andy but need to check, Very underrated band, Peelie loved 'em, might complement your post, when I check with their Peel sessions album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy when I checked, was surprised that I didn't have a copy, so plugs a gap, sure I have the CD in storage. I have the Peel Sessions but only 192(so won't share it), but I know I have the CD in Storage. If anybody has Gene's Peel Sessions in 320 can they please share, thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete