Thursday, April 25, 2024

 Chris Rea – Blue Guitars (2005) @320



Chirs Rea is a british gravelly-voiced singer and guitarist, born March 4, 1951, Middlesbrough, UK, my home town. He is more famous for rock blues, but 2005 he released this wonderful 11 cd box set, where he goes back to his blues roots, sharing his take on Country Blues, Louisiana Blues, Chicago Blues, Electric Blues. 

In 1994 Rea had developed stomach ulcers, The following year, he got peritonitis and nearly died.

Rea was first diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at the age of just 33. In 2000, he underwent a Whipple procedure, which resulted in the removal of the head of the pancreas and part of the duodenum, bile duct, and gall bladder. Since having this surgery Rea has had problems with diabetes and a weaker immune system, necessitating the need to take thirty-four pills and seven injections a day. He has undergone several subsequent operations. Nevertheless, he found greater appreciation for life, his family, and the things he loves.

2005 saw the release of Blue Guitars, a box set of 11 CDs containing 137 blues-inspired tracks with Rea's paintings as album covers, which is a once in a lifetime ambitious project about the history of blues music. Rea said, "I was never a rock star or pop star and all the illness has been my chance to do what I'd always wanted to do with music, the best change for my music has been concentrating on stuff which really interests me"

  I remember Chris Rea saying in an interview how his manager advised him not to release 11 cd's because it would be commercial suicide. But he carried through anyway.

So i will share the 11 CD's over the next few days until it's completed, i will also share the DVD that came with the box set. For tracklist please check the album on Discogs, this is why i will share each album separately so you can take, which ones you like the look of, you don't have to take 'em all!! All links active for 6 months, after that anybody wants a re-up then just shout in the box below.

CD1, CD2, CD3, CD4, CD5, CD6, CD7, CD8, CD9, CD10, CD11, DVD.

Posted by Reb

9 comments:

  1. It’s an incredible box set that you’re sharing! I saw Chris Rea on stage during the 80s tour, I think for the “Water Sign” album it was more Pop Rock, he’s a good guitarist. I didn't know his attraction to Country Blues, Louisiana Blues, Chicago Blues, Electric Blues. You see, like us, he clings to music... The Music is a therapy!
    Thanks Reb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the first four volumes, I'm going to listen to the first one today, Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Hope you like, was never a big fan of Chris, but was working in the south for awhile, some one lent me the best of, and listened to it, a few track reminded me of my hometown, i then investigated his earlier albums. Hope you enjoy this set another 4 coming at some point today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok all the albums are uploaded, will share the video tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first tracks remind me of David Gilmour, it's personal, a Pink Floyd side... I listened to the first with this evocative title "Where The Blues Come From". Ideal music for the car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have all 11 volumes, if you can send the DVD. Thanks Reb !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one, enjoy 'em Patrick. Just uploaded the video.

      Delete
  6. Wow! not one or two... eleven! + DVD
    Thanks so much, reb! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
    Thanks so much, Bob! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

    ReplyDelete